Wednesday 16 October 2013

Homemade Honey Mustard Walnut Salmon

So since I had a leftover ingredients from my Triple Layer Mashed Potatoes from Thanksgiving Dinner (including the leftover of that!), I decided to make a Honey Mustard Walnut Salmon using the leftover bread crumbs and parsley I had. I was inspired by this recipe, though I changed it up a bit. I normally just bake salmon with lemon juice, onions, Italian seasoning, and sometimes wrapped with roasted seaweed.

Left Bowl: 1/4 cup of melted butter, 3 tablespoons of honey mustard, and 1.5 tablespoons of honey
Right Bowl: 1/4 cup of bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts, and ~2 tablespoons of chopped parsley.

Typically I've been told that 6-8 ounces per person is a sufficient serving of salmon. That equates to approximately 0.4lbs an individual. This is how 1.5lbs looks like. Some argue that you should not wash fish as it washes away the oils which make it tasty. Since the fish was already filleted, I quickly washed with cold water and patted it dry with a paper towel to be on the safe side (since you don't know what happened to the fish before you got it).

Brush on the left bowl (the mustard mix) onto the salmon filets. You can do it lightly if you want to preserve the taste of the salmon or you can do it with a heavier hand to have left over sauce (which is what I prefer).

All sauced up!

Next for the topping (dry bowl). Same principle for the mustard sauce - its up to you if you prefer to sprinkle or cover your filets.

Covered up! 
(PS: I didn't use all of the topping mixture)

The oven was preheated to 400°F (200°C). Place dish into the oven for 10-15 minutes, or whenever the salmon flakes. (Above is ~7 minutes into the oven; I had mine in for 12 minutes at 400°F and then 3 minutes at 325°F since my parents were late getting home.)

I served the salmon with a side of spinach and a lemon wedge to garnish the salmon and spinach.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment